Thursday, September 17, 2009

Keeping house

I am fascinated by an email that was sent from someone in our neighborhood. (I've written before about the bizarre postings and insight this listserve of several thousand homes brings me.)

HOUSEKEEPER WANTED

Housekeeper wanted for busy professional couple in Old Town Alexandria. No kids, one small dog.

Ideal candidate would be available 2-3 times per week for thorough cleaning of 3BR 2.5BA home on 3 floors, loading & unloading of dishwasher, watering plants & cleaning patio area, doing all laundry & ironing. Someone energetic, reliable & legal with own transportation is essential.


If you or someone you know might be interested, please email me directly. Many thanks.

My questions -- and you can tell I've given this a considerable amount of thought: How much mess could a couple with a small dog and no kids possibly make? What do these people do for a living? Who are they? How on earth much money do you have to make to pay someone to come to your house three times a week to do chores? No matter how much money you have, isn't that really just overkill? It's all very fascinating.

I can't say that my life with a twice-weekly cleaner/launderer/ironer/gardener, etc. wouldn't be easier, I suppose, but I don't know that we make nearly enough mess to warrant that. Or money.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Maybe they spend their money paying someone to do their work and you spend your money heading to France for a nice vacation. It's all about how you choose to spend your dollars. I'd pick your way any day.

Mom