Saturday, May 19, 2007

I love nice people

So right now I'm in New York and spoke this afternoon at the National Stationery Show about consumer trends. (I am really bummed that I wasn't able to stay and walk through the exhibit floor--I'm pretty convinced that I could have gotten Rachel's wedding invitations taken care of!)

While I'm here, I am staying in le Parker Meridien downtown. I have to say, I love this place. The elevators are old-world style but the rooms are really modern. There are a lot of neutral colors with the occasional flash of orange or red thrown in for fun.

But beyond that, the people are so nice! I have ordered room service twice and haven't gotten that pathetic look from the room service guy silently asking for more of a tip even though 19% gratuity and a delivery charge is already included. When I called the concierge about my flight for tomorrow morning, they were really helpful and didn't act like I was wasting their time or asking a stupid question. Even the housekeeping people are nice!

I'm not sure what to do about this--NYers aren't always the most hospitable group of people. So the fact that I just got dinner and a glass of wine and a bottle of water for dinner and was charged $65 seems tolerable--go figure.

The hotel is right next to Carnegie Hall and the Russian Tea Room, which I wish I would have known about so I could have gone to a concert tonight. I'm also really close to the Fifth Avenue shops, though I got my fill of those in the cab ride on the way here. Walking into Bergdorf and feeling like the world's most unfashionable person wasn't my idea of a fun evening. So I got some really expensive room service and am calling it a night.

Off to Vegas tomorrow...

No comments: