Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Words of wisdom

A high school friend recently told me something fabulous: "Never take advice from someone you wouldn't trade places with." Really and truly, how spot-on is that?

So I've been thinking lately about some of the tried-and-true directives I've received over the years. This has been a work-in-progress over the last few weeks, but here's what has come to mind:

On compliments:
"If someone says something nice about what you're wearing or how you look or about something you did, don't make excuses. Just say thank you." --mom

On savings: "Always have $1,000 set aside in case something goes wrong." --dad (I was 15 and barely had a comma in my checking account, so this was a real bummer of a realization)

On fashion: "Never wear white pants or white shoes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day." --Aunt Phyll (and I can't forget this one because she reminds us every year)

On portion control: "If you put it on your plate, you eat it." --Grandma Cathy (I spent a lot of time protesting at her kitchen table looking at a half-empty plate after, as she would say, "my eyes were bigger than my stomach")

On coupons: "Never use a coupon on something you weren't going to buy anyway." --mom

On having the right perspective: "Ask yourself, in five years, will this matter?" --Chad

On phone conversations: "No matter who answers the phone, introduce yourself and say hello." --dad (This has benefited me so substantially in my career that I can't even quantify it. Receptionists love me, which often gets me access and opportunities that others don't have.)

On clothes: "Don't feel badly for spending a little more on something that fits better. And get rid of those ugly jeans." --Rachel

On loyalty: "You can be disappointed in people and still love them." --mom

On sports: "Never use the phrase, "They played a good game" if they lost." --Chad (The same also goes for, "There's always next season")

On taking a break: "Sometimes you just need to say, "Stop, World! I want to get off!" --Grandma Marge

On winding down: "One glass of great champagne at 5:00 on Friday afternoon is a perfect start to the weekend you deserve." --Aunt Rita, who asked that I update my post to include this (see comment below) ...and, for the record, I think she's right!

1 comment:

AUNT RITA said...

WHAT WISE & ASTUTE PEOPLE YOU HAVE IN YOUR FAMILY! PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO RACHEL'S ADVICE - ESPECIALLY PART II. AND AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR LIST, ADD THIS ONE: "ONE GLASS OF GREAT CHAMPAGNE AT FIVE O'CLOCK ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON IS A PERFECT START TO THE WEEKEND YOU DESERVE."