Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Dirt in the desert

I'm in Phoenix this week for work and the weather has been warmer than usual. It's probably in the low 80s during the day and cooler (but by no means cold!) at night.

Today I was walking to the sessions, winding through the resort (probably lost again) while the landscapers were out watering the petunias. Being a farm girl at heart, I realized today how much I really love the smell of dirt. Literally, I had to stop and inhale. There is something inherently "springy" about taking something that has been caked over all winter and digging it up and giving it some water and some seeds, hoping that it grows stuff.

I also remembered how much I love the feel of warm sunshine on my pasty white legs, which haven't seen a UV ray for about nine months.

No comments: