Saturday, April 26, 2008

Soul food

When I was poor and friendless in St. Louis after college, I did quite a bit to keep myself entertained. Evenings consisted of a walk to the gym and a few miles on the treadmill, perhaps an email to an old friend or an episode of Law & Order. Several times, I remember thinking, "Hmm...I've worked out and it's only 6:45. What am I going to do for the next three hours?!?"

Sometimes on Friday nights I would drive up and down Olive Boulevard looking for a cheap Chinese take-out place to get dinner. (Gas was much cheaper then--if it was $3.69/gallon I would have forfeited the journey.) My favorite meal to make was spaghetti with a side of corn, sometimes with a piece of Texas Toast if I was feeling really rich. It's an odd combination but it always hit the spot.

Even though it sounds like my life was quite depressing, I was happy. I had a job that I liked and a place I could call my own. I made absolutely no money but I was doing alright (probably because I didn't know anyone to do anything with!). It was a bit nerve-wracking, but also slightly exhilarating, to know that no one else in the world knew where I was at any given point. I look back at that year with fondness. Except for that day I got lost on a walk where all the streets had the word "fern" in them.

Chad is at the Cubs game tonight and Lucy is exhausted from her three-mile run earlier today (thank you, Janice and Nick...) so I whipped up my old dinner standby and am savoring the memories. Life has changed quite a lot in those last eight years, but what comforts me hasn't changed a bit. Except tonight I added a glass of red wine, just for fun.

No comments: