Monday, June 2, 2008

Gas guzzler

For almost six years, I have been at the beck-and-call of public transportation or a carpooler to get to work. For awhile I rode with Chad, though we nearly killed each other since he was always running late. Then I rode with Rachel while she was living with us (I paid for parking and she paid for gas), which wasn't bad but she always wanted to leave earlier than I did. Scott picked me up for awhile, but for his sake, there was no reason to continue that arrangement since I was out of his way. Most recently, I took the bus to the Metro, though some days Chad would drop me off at the Pentagon and I'd take the train from there.

Basically, it took me an hour to get into work for a drive that takes 15 minutes. And getting home sometimes took 90 minutes.

So, after being on the waiting list for our parking garage for two years, I have secured my own spot inside the lot. I won't even tell you how much it costs because I don't want to incite any heart attacks. But let's just say it's expensive (though it is pre-tax).

I can't truly express what it was like this morning to get up and be on my own schedule, knowing that I could leave for work whenever I darn well pleased. I didn't have to worry about the bus schedule (and if it was raining/hot/cold, etc.), I wasn't nagging Chad about being late, and I didn't need to put on flip flops for the walk so as not to ruin my heels. I just got in the Jeep...and left! And, tonight, I don't have to time my departure around anyone else! This is heaven.

Yes, gas is $4.00/gallon but the bus and Metro was costing $10.00 per day. And I have to believe that my time is worth something. At least that's what I am telling myself!

No comments: