Monday, July 21, 2008

A better way to save Starbucks: spend

Many people were not terribly surprised last week to hear that Starbucks is closing 600 underperforming stores across the country. While I do love my skinny cinnamon dolce latte on occasion, I do think that having three Starbucks within a six-block radius of my office is overkill. (As a side note, the brand-new Galesburg location that just opened last fall is on the list. What a waste of money--and another abandoned eyesore on Henderson Street.)

So, now there's a campaign to save Starbucks, encouraging people to sign an online petition and to share their thoughts on how this is just a horrible situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the best way to save a struggling business by spending money there? Starbucks is not an entitlement, it's a company. If some stores are not making money, it's time to close them. Period.

No comments: