Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Shopping spree

Those of you who know me well would likely classify my shopping personality as "binge." I don't do it often, but when I do...step back. There is no real reason for this, other than I really just do not enjoy the act of shopping. Finding my size, trying things on, looking for the best deal...it's really overwhelming and often frustrating. I'd rather read a book, go on a walk, bake, sleep...anything, really.

That said, when I do shop, it's all or nothing. The last time I looked at shoes, I bought five pairs. The last time I went in to a Banana Republic Factory Store, I spent $400 (on a lot of stuff--good bargains). My co-workers know when I've gone shopping because I'm not recycling the same outfits.

But whenever I go to these darned online retail conferences, I get the shopping bug. I almost had a panic attack in one of our sessions today because I realized that I really should get a new dress for this wedding we have on Friday, when normally I'd be perfectly fine wearing something I've already got in my closet. (And, by the way, that guy from DSW talking about their new site relaunch is showing some really cute shoes on the screen...I wonder if they'd arrive in time if I bought them tonight?)

Retailers don't realize that another benefit of sharing their stories about merchandising and site integration and cross-channel optimization is increasing their sales.

Chad might want to guard the credit card tomorrow. I sense a spree coming on.

2 comments:

DJ Robbie Robb said...

Mama Tracy would be so proud of you "supporting the retailers", "helping the economy"...sounds like good reasons to me.
I am going to wrap now and go visit the Old Navy site.

Linda said...

Say "hi" to Tony G. for me!