Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A mom's life

I rode the elevator up to the office this morning with a woman who's a few years older than me. She has a daughter in kindergarten and one in second grade, a husband who works long hours, and a dog that's about two years old. I was asking how each one of them was doing and she was giving me updates on the whole clan. (The dog is chewing--she suggested that might be because it needs more exercise. I agreed--Lucy did the same thing.)

This colleague of mine is always so put together and trendy, but I noticed today she looked tired.

As we got off the elevator to go our separate ways, she looked at me and said, "Most days I feel like a slave, a maid, a chef, and a chauffeur."

Yep, I thought, that pretty much sums up a mom's life. I've been laughing about that all day.

1 comment:

Becca D. said...

Oh how true that comment is! Of course we mom's will usually only admit that when we are totally done in and ready for a break, but it's true all the time! It's the hardest non-money-paying job you could ever work!