Monday, March 30, 2009

Surprise!

I have mentioned before that I am no good at surprises--giving or receiving them. So when I decided two months ago to keep Chad's birthday from him, I knew what I was getting myself into. I almost let the word spill a million times over the past few weeks but I didn't...which goes to show that apparently I do think before I speak!

Last night, a dozen of our very best friends got together for dinner at the Farm Table, a big table for 14 in the middle of a wine store connected to one of the best restaurants around. (This is a new partnership between the wine store and the restaurant, which Chad hadn't heard about, so this wasn't even something he would have guessed.)

Each month the chef creates a special menu for "the table" from local fish, meat, and vegetables, then one of the wine connoisseurs from Planet Wine makes recommendations on the best pairings for each course--or you can just walk through the wine store and select your own bottles. The menu was fabulous, the wine was superb, and the dessert was, well...better than what I could have made (think chocolaty and caramel with some unexpected crunch and a taste of peanut butter added in).

After dinner had ended, we sat at the table for another two hours catching up, giving each other grief, and trying to figure out whose birthday was next so we could have an excuse to return!

No comments: