Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A life-altering conversation

I was unloading the dishwasher tonight and Chad's cell phone rang. I immediately thought for some reason that it was one of those phone conversations that was somehow going to change my life. Chad had said "Hi Eric," so I thought it was his old boss Eric whose wife just had baby #2. I was sitting there unloading plates and silverware wondering if Eric was calling to offer him a job in Florida, where they live. I immediately was trying to think if I wanted to move to Florida. It's awfully damn humid there.

Anyway, it was not Chad's old boss Eric; it was the husband of one of my very best friends letting me know that they had a little girl one entire month early! Her name is Cailey Nicole, which I think is just beautiful. I let her know that legend says leaders are born on March 4 and, regardless, she is happy and everyone is healthy. Life is good.

It was definitely one of those phone calls that will change my life. This is a little girl that I will be close to forever. Birthdays, Christmases, you name it. I'm a surrogate aunt.

But fortunately, at least for now, it was not a phone call that is going to relocate us.

No comments: